Travel to Finland, a country of surprises. Known by several names, like Land of the midnight sun, land of a thousand lakes and land of a thousand forests. Nestled between Russia and Sweden with the Baltic Sea, Gulf of Bothnia, and Gulf of Finland on three sides. Finland has a high standard of living and is a safe place to visit. Make sure you take your camera, otherwise your friends will not believe the beauty of the scenery.
Here are the best reasons to travel to this interesting Scandinavian Country.
1. Stay in Helsinki, the capital. See how the east and west has influenced the architecture. Experience the unique designs that have generated several design awards, including the 2012 World Design Capital. Photograph the colourful buildings and relaxed lifestyle. Popular Finnish designs include “Marimekko” textiles and furnishings and “Artek” furniture.
2. Visit “Rovaniemi” in Lapland where the real Santa Clause lives. Visit the factory and learn about Finnish Christmas traditions. Get your Christmas presents early.
3. Enjoy the traditional foods like potatoes and dill, smoked salmon or “karjalanpiirakkas.” Let your taste buds learn new tastes. Enjoy all the local fare including the fresh berries. Don’t forget to enjoy the coffee and cakes!
4. The scenery is breathtaking. Finns are nature lovers and there are countless opportunities to visit lakes and National Parks. The reflection photography is amazing. Spend a little time in one of the bear hides by a lake or watch moose roaming in the forest. Gaze at the Archipelagos that are found in several places.
5. Meet the friendly Finns in their own environment. A quiet people who enjoy life. Mostly, people understand English.
6. Enjoy a sauna, in the traditional way. The Finns invented the sauna and there are over three million of them in Finland. Remember, what happens in the sauna stays in the sauna!
7. Visit one of the festivals in Finland. Finns love to compete in any competition. Competitions like beer floating, wife-carrying and mobile phone throwing, as well as music, art and culture festivals.
8. Watch or compete in sports like, orienteering, rock climbing, trekking or any of the many water sports.
9. Finland is ideally located for travel to other Scandinavian countries and Russia. A great place to relax between your travels.