Are you a coffee lover who can’t seem to live without drinking at least three or four cups of coffee a day? Did you know that unlike carbonated drinks or energy drinks, coffee in fact does provide substantial benefit to the body?
Here are several benefits brought about by drinking your favourite cup of coffee.
- It contains massive amounts of antioxidants that the body can absorb. Antioxidants are important because they are the ones responsible for removing free radicals in our body. Free radicals are molecules that cause chain reactions in a cell thereby damaging it and even killing it. Drinking at least a cup of coffee every day ensures that you get your daily dose of antioxidants.
- It can fight depression and actually makes a person happier. Coffee contains caffeine that is responsible for increasing the level of neurotransmitters in the brain. Neurotransmitter such as serotonin is responsible for the feelings of happiness and sense of well-being. That is why drinking at least three to four cups of coffee everyday will fight depression and helps reduce the risk of suicide. Suicide is the most common result attributed to clinical depression due to the feeling of being alone, unloved and unwanted.
- Coffee can lower the risk of Alzheimer’s, dementia and Parkinson’s disease. There is a saying that prevention is better than cure. By drinking a cup of coffee every day, the chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease which can later on cause dementia decreases. Furthermore, studies have shown that caffeine in coffee increases the level of neurotransmitters in the brain like dopamine, the ones responsible for motor movements. Because of this, the early onset of having Parkinson’s disease is highly reduced.
- Coffee can help prevent liver cirrhosis and Type 2 diabetes. Excessive alcohol consumption may lead to liver cirrhosis, liver failure and cancer. Drinking at least a cup of coffee every day can help reduce the chances of having liver cirrhosis. In addition, drinking at least four cups a day could reduce the risks of developing diabetes since it has chemicals that help reduce glucose and insulin build up.
- Drinking a cup of coffee every day especially when sleep-deprived will make you sharper and more intelligent. It has become the norm of every individual who is sleep-deprived to drink a cup of coffee in order to wake up. But that cup actually brings in more than just a boost of energy; it actually makes the person more highly efficient and increases cognitive function.
Coffee indeed has many wonderful benefits for the body. However, bear in mind that everything taken in excess has considerable consequences. Drinking more than the normal amount of caffeine needed by the body can result to increase in heart rate, anxiety attack and blood pressure.