The law further restricts the authorization to the following individuals as mentioned under Article 12 of the Drugs Law:
- Anyone who has been charged for breach of trust;
- Anyone convicted under this law;
- Anyone convicted for assault, corruption or any property-related matter.
The narcotic drugs reaching the customs at UAE can only be released upon a written withdrawal permit bearing the signature of the director of the entity in the prescribed format, reference Article 13 of the Drugs Law. It is pertinent to note that the import and export permit shall be considered null and void, if not utilized within 60 days.
- What are the penalties for possessing and using narcotics drugs in the country?
The Drugs Law imposes a penalty on the drug addict who has used the drugs in any manner or for personal use without proper prescription as mentioned by the law. There is a distinction between the penalties depending upon the type of offense. The Lawyers in Dubai have gathered the list of crimes under the Drugs Law and the equivalent punishment for the same as follows:
S.No. Offence Imprisonment Fine
1. Anyone who abuses drugs mentioned in Schedule 1,2,4 and 5 without specific authorization Not less than 4 years Not less than AED 10,000
2. Anyone who abuses mentioned in Schedule 3,6,7, and 8 without authorization Not less than 1 year and not more than 3 years Not less than AED 10,000
3. Anyone who abuses the narcotic drug or plant which is conducive to narcosis or harmful effect on the mind with such intention Not less than 1 year and not more than 3 years Not less than AED 10,000
4. Anyone who induce or incite another person to commit an offence under this law or facilitate the person with illegal drugs Not less than 5 years Not less than AED 20,000
5. Anyone with the intention of causing harm induces or incite other and thereby caused harm Not less than 7 years Not less than AED 20,000
6. Anyone who manages or set up a place for using narcotic drugs mentioned in Schedule 1,2, 4 and 5 Not less than 10 years and not more than 15 years Not less than AED 20,000
7. Anyone who manages or set up a place for using narcotic drugs mentioned in Schedule 3,6, 7 and 8 Not less than 7 years Not less than AED 20,000
8. Anyone who is aware of such a place or is apprehended that the person was his wife or husband Not less than 6 months and not more than 1 year Not less than AED 10,000
9. Anyone who imports, introduce, export, manufacture, produce or separated any drugs mentioned in schedule 3,6,7 and 8 Not less than 7 years and not more than 10 years Not less than AED 50,000 and not more than AED 200,000 10. Anyone who traffics or promotes the usage of such drugs Imprisonment for life Not less than AED 50,000 and not more than AED 200,000 11. Anyone who kills the public official in charge for implementation of the law Death Penalty
- drugs are prohibited in the country?
The Drugs Law provides a non-exhaustive list of drugs divided in different schedules which are prohibited and restricted to use unless authorized by the Law. The list of drugs is in line with the Single Convention on Narcotics Drugs, 1961 to which UAE is a signatory. Following are schedules highlighting prohibited drugs in UAE:
Acetorphine Acetyl – alpha – methlfentanyl Acetylmethadol Alfentanil Allylprodine Opium Alphacetylmethadol Alphameprodine Alphamethadol Alpha – methylfentanyl Alphaprodine Pethidine – intermediate – A Anileridine Benzethidine Benzylmorphine Betacetylmethadol Betameprodine Phenazocine Betamethadol Betaprodine Bezitramide Cannabis Clonitazene Proheptazine Coca leaf Cocaine Codoxime Concentrate of poppy straw Desomorphine Sufentanil Dextromoramide Diampromide Diethylthiambutene Difenoxin Dihydromorphine Opium Dimenoxadol Dimepheptanol Dimethylthiambutene Dioxaphetyl butyrate Diphenoxylate Pethidine – intermediate – A Dipipanone Drotebanol Ecgonine Ethylmethylthiambutene Etonitazene Oxycodone Etorphine Etoxeridine Fentanyl Furethidine Heroin Pethidine – intermediate – B Hydrocodone Hydromorphinol Hydromorphone Hydroxypethidine Isomethadone Phenomorphan Ketobemidone Levomethorphan Levomoramide Levophe nacy lmorphan Levorphanol Properidine Metazocine Methadone Methadone – intermediate Methyldesorphine Methyldihydromorphine Thebacon Methylfentanyl Metopon Moramide – intermediate Morpheridine Morphine Noracymethadol Morphine Methobromide Morphine – N – Oxide MPPP Myrophine Nicomorphine Noracymethadol Oxymorphone Oxymorphone Normethadone Normorphine Norpipanone Phenoperidine Piminodine Piritramide Piminodine PEPAP Pethidine Racemethorphan Thebaine Tilldine Trimeperidine Phenodoxone Phenampromide
Acetyldihydrocodeine Codeine Dextropropoxyphene Dihydrocodeine Ethylmorphine Nicocodine Nicodicodine Norcodeine Pholcodine Propiram
a) Acetyldihydrocodeine b) Codeine. c) Dihydrocodeine. d) Ethylmorphine. e) Nicocodine. f) Nicodicodine. g) Norcodeine. h) And Pholcodine.
The drugs above when a compounded with other ingredients and comprise not more than 100 milligrams of the drug on single dosage of a unit and with a concentration of not more than 2.5 percent.
Preparations of propiram comprised of at least 100 milligrams of propiram for every dosage and compounded with the same amount of methylcellulose. Preparations for oral use consisting of not more than 135 milligrams of dextropropoxyphene base per dosage or with a concentration of not exceeding 2.5 percent, subjected that such developments are not containing any substance controlled under the 1971 convention on Psychotropic Substances. Preparations of cocaine containing not exceeding 0.1 per cent of cocaine calculated as cocaine base and preparations of opium or morphine containing not more than 0.2 per cent of morphine estimated as anhydrous morphine base. It is compounded with one or more other ingredients and in such a manner that the drug cannot be recovered by readily applicable procedures or in a yield which would lead to a risk to public health. Preparations of difenoxin containing, per dosage unit, not more than 0.5 milligrams of difenoxin and some amount of atropine sulfate equivalent to at least 5 percent of the dose of difenoxin. Preparations of diphenoxylate comprising of per dosage unit, not exceeding 2.5 milligrams of diphenoxylate calculated as base and some amount of atropine sulfate equivalent to at least one percent of the dose of diphenoxylate. PULVIS IPECACUANHAE at EPII COMPOSITES:
· 10 percent opium in powder.
· 10 percent ipecacuanha root, mixed well in the dust.
· 80 percent of some other powdered substance containing no drug.