Digital Marketing Vs Traditional Marketing – How can you differentiate between the two? Which is a better way to drive optimum outcomes? These are the timeless questions in every marketer’s mind. But the perfect partner for the best digital marketing services in India can help the most in resolving these queries in your mind. So presenting here a contrast between the two modes of marketing – online and traditional.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing or online marketing refers to the use of the internet and digital media for leading marketing efforts. It is the way of using online channels like social media and websites as mediums for communication with the target audience. Any business can utilize internet marketing to reach out to its prospective customers. The reason why digital marketing is most useful for businesses these days is the extensive use of the internet among people. More and more people are using the internet every day which means a lot of purchases of goods and services are happening online. Services like search engine optimization, social media marketing, etc come under web marketing.
Pros and Cons of Digital Marketing
Per second there are over 79,000 searches on Google (source: MediaValet)! See the buzz! Naturally, there’s a huge possibility of doing successful marketing on the internet. Online marketing channels include the following:
- Social Media like Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Search Engine Marketing
- Content Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Pay Per Click Marketing
- Inbound Marketing
- Email Marketing etc.
The Advantages of Web Marketing are:
- Easy to Measure: It’s obvious that when you invest money in marketing campaigns, you would want to measure the outcomes. Digital marketing lets you do so effortlessly. With this, you can track the impressions, clicks, shares, likes, comments, conversions, and many more. You can easily know how your campaigns are performing. And based on that result you can make the necessary changes to the campaign to get the maximum possible results. Also to know the outcomes of your SEO efforts Google Analytics will help you.
- Easy to Target: To get the optimal results out of your online campaigns, you must reach out to the specific target audience. And online marketing gives you the privilege to exactly reach the people who want to hear from you and buy your products and services. Be it a Social Media ad or Search Engine ad, you can easily target people by their age, gender, location, hobbies, occupation, interests, etc. Limiting your focus helps you to reach people more curious to get your services. Also, you can spend your budget more effectively and get better outcomes for your brand.
- More Engagement Options: Using Facebook or other social media campaigns you can literally know what your target audience thinks of your marketing efforts or your brand. If your message has been shared, liked, and received positive comments. You know you are doing well. Partner with the best SEO company in India to get the maximum possible outcomes of web marketing.
- Cost-effective: The biggest advantage of web marketing is that it’s cost-effective and affordable for any scale of business. It helps to save more money and get more leads with the right efforts. With PPC campaigns, you can choose your budget and run ads accordingly. However organic strategies can take time to show the effectiveness of the campaigns but the results are worth the investments.
However, like all other things in the world, web marketing, too, has some disadvantages. And these are:
- Change is the only constant: Each online marketing channel requires different experts. Right from social media to search engine marketing, each of these channels demands a pro to manage the campaigns and get the best results. Also, online trends are constantly changing. So the professional needs to be aware of that and execute his plans accordingly.
- High Competition: It’s obvious that on the internet competition to grab the target eyeballs will be higher. Because people get a bunch of options at their fingertips. So to convert a lead to a successful buyer, the marketer must strategize his plans wisely.
What is Traditional Marketing?
On the flip side, traditional marketing is a conventional mode of marketing that uses various offline ways for advertising and promotional methods to reach out to the target market. It’s hard to ignore the traditional ads that we encounter every day. The most common tools for traditional marketing are print media like magazines, newspapers, etc., broadcast like TV, radio, etc., telephonic like telemarketing, SMS marketing, outdoor advertising like billboards, flyers, etc. Until the emergence of the internet in the 1990s, traditional marketing was the only type of marketing in the market.
Pros and Cons of Traditional Marketing
With the emergence of social media and other internet marketing tools, traditional marketing has been undervalued by marketers. But before that traditional marketing was the only way of marketing. The channels it uses are:
- Outdoor tools like Bus/Taxi wraps, Posters, Billboards
- Print media like Newspapers, Magazines
- Broadcast media like TV, Radio
- Telemarketing using Telephone Calls, Text Messages
- Direct Mails like Catalogues
- Window Display and Signs etc.
However, there are some advantages of offline marketing, and these are:
- Permanent: Printed marketing materials are easy to preserve until the paper or magazine is recycled.
- More Memorable: Seeing something in the real world and feeling them in your hands makes it easier to remember for the audience. A beautiful and impressive poster or window display is more likely to attract you and stay in your mind, unlike the social media ads that you scrolled past a few mins ago.
- Impressive and Easy to Grab: A visually stunning TV commercial ad or newspaper ad is a part of your daily life. So these are more entertaining and easy to consume and digest for the audience.
We know you can’t entirely leave offline marketing efforts. But why waste your time and money on traditional marketing when you can get better results with online marketing, that too at minimal cost and time? For any of your internet marketing needs, talk to the top digital marketing company in India.
The disadvantages of the classical model of marketing are:
- No Direct Relation with the Customer: Offline marketing efforts leave you in dark about the reaction of your customers. There’s no way to directly interact with the target audience.
- Difficult to Measure Campaigns: Offline campaigns are very difficult to measure. Although there are a few ways to get insights, in-depth analysis is not possible.
- Costly in Terms of Man and Money: Traditional marketing is really expensive. Brands require to pay huge amounts of money for advertising in newspapers or TV commercials. Also, manpower is also a huge expense for brands opting for traditional marketing methods.
Digital Marketing Vs Traditional Marketing – Where’s the Difference?
There’s a lot that can be said about digital marketing vs traditional marketing. But the primary difference is the medium that both of them use for communicating with the audience. While online marketing uses electronic media like websites, social media, PPC, SEO, etc. for promoting different services and products, traditional marketing uses offline media like newspapers, magazines, hoardings, leaflets, flyers, telephone, door to door, etc to do the same. As we all know, if everything is done manually, it raises the cost of marketing. This makes the digital mode of marketing cost-effective, unlike traditional marketing.
Also, with internet marketing, measurement of the efforts and outcomes are easily done using various online resources. Social media also allows measuring the efforts and results of the campaigns. But the same with traditional marketing is nearly impossible. For brand building, unlike traditional marketing, internet marketing is efficient and fast.
As people spend more time on the internet, buying products and services through online media has gained more momentum than the traditional setup of businesses. And the best part is that they can get whatever they want at their fingertips. Online purchase lets people get their required services delivered to their homes. But if they have to purchase from a physical shop, they have to visit there in person. Naturally, people lean more towards e-commerce shops, and hence the growth of internet marketing is reaching new limits every day.