Details Regarding Permanent Partner Visa

The Permanent Partner Visa is something that you must be aware of. Basically, the partner visas have two subclasses i.e., 309 and 100. This visa completely allows the spouse or the partner of an Australian citizen, eligible New Zealand citizen or permanent resident of Australian residing in Australia. All details regarding Partner permanent visa subclass 100 checklist will be provided below.

While we know that both the visa subclass allows you to stay in the country but the fact is subclass 309 gives you the permission for temporary stay while subclass 100 helps you get the permanent stay visa.

Details regarding the eligibility and the duration of stay has been provided below.


The basic criteria to be matched is that you need to be married or in a de facto kind of relationship with any of the following.

  1. Eligible citizen of New Zealand.
  2. Permanent Residence of Australia
  3. Or a citizen of Australia

However, your marriage should be approved under the Australian law which means if you are of age of 16 or 17, you must have parental permission.


The cost charged for applying for the permanent partner visas under the law will be AUD 7000.

Longevity of your Stay

There are basically two types of subclass which allows your stay in the country.

  1. Under the Visa subclass 309, the partner gets to stay for a temporary period till the permanent partner visa (subclass 100) is approved.
  2. Once you have the subclass 100 visa, you are allowed to stay permanently.


Permanent Partner Visas is what everyone looks for and what everyone needs if they want to stay in Australia for a permanent basis. Getting the permanent partner visa involves two stage that will be provided below. In order to get a subclass 100 visa, first of all you need to get the temporary partner visas under the subclass 309. All of you applying for the visa needs to apply for both the visas together at the same time, however the fees is charged for only one.

If you get lucky and you are granted the subclass 309 temporary visa that you become eligible to opt for the permanent visa under subclass 100 after two years. For the permanent visa further details and documents are required to be submitted.

If it is found that you are in a long term relationship even before getting the temporary partner visa (subclass 309) then you will be provided the permanent partner visa immediately and thus you don’t need to wait for 2 years to get it.

If your partner is under the age of 18 then you must have a sponsor who guarantees your marriage.

Apart from it, there are other health and character requirement that is needed to be fulfilled in order to apply for the permanent visa. If you got any other question regarding the topic feel free to contact us anytime.

Leave a Comment