This hearty, creamy soup is just the ideal fall treat with fresh, crusty bread or fried pita on the side. It makes a wholesome, fresh, delicious and satisfying lunch or dinner meal. You will probably like it enough to serve it as an appetizer when you have guests over for dinner. It is fast, easy and healthy! You could also make it as a vegetarian recipe.
Enjoy! ~ 😀
Serve With: Fresh, crusty bread or fried pita.
Prep Time: 10 min
Yield: Should serve 4 people as appetizer, or 2 people for dinner
1 medium Butternut squash
2 small Sweet potatoes
1 large Onion
3 cloves Garlic
1/2 tsp Freshly ground cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp Sea salt
1 1/2 tbsp Olive oil
1 cup Heavy cream
1 1/2 cups Chicken stock
1 tbsp Brown sugar
1/8 tsp Nutmeg – Freshly grated is preferred.
1/8 tsp Ginger – You may use 1/2 tsp if it is freshly minced/grated.
1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 Cinnamon stick
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Peel butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and onion, and scoop out of the squash seeds with a large spoon. Chop into 1′ chunks. Sprinkle with sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, freshly grated nutmeg, ground ginger, and cayenne pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
3. Combine these ingredients in a small roasting pan or oven proof dish, and roast at 375 F for 15 min, then reduce temperature to 335 F, and continue to roast until fork tender (~ 55 min).
4. 10 min before finishing roasting, sprinkle brown sugar over vegetables.
5. Combine roasted vegetables, chicken stock, and butter in a large soup pot, and use a hand blender to blend it to the consistency you desire. Add heavy cream and stir.
* Tip: If you like chunks in your soup, blend it less. If you like it completely smooth, blend it completely.
* Tip: Use a standing blender if you don’t have a hand blender.
6. Heat soup until it is the temperature you desire (~ 5-8 min) and drop a cinnamon stick in soup pot during this time.
7. Take out cinnamon stick, and season with sea salt & pepper to taste.
8. Garnish with dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche, a nasturtium flower and a cinnamon stick. Beautiful!!!
9. Serve with crusty bread or fried pitas, and Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe…
Kimberly Edwards is the founder of Cooking With Kimberly – Decadent Cooking from Home – Find a Delicious Cooking Recipe, Great Products and Helpful Tips & Information that will help you Explore the Joy of Cooking!