Businesses dealing with logistics and supply have to consider numerous factors such as driver availability, vehicle availability, weight limits, traffic conditions, dispatch times, and lots more while planning routes. The route should also be planned in such a way that there is a minimum retracing of the same routes. It can be difficult to manually consolidate all these factors and design the best route. Secondly, the details keep changing in real-time, so it is nearly impossible to keep track of the changes and still ensure that the route is optimized.
The best way to combat all these challenges and still work out a route that serves your purposes is by using route optimization software. If you’re still thinking that manual planning is better, take a look at these 7 reasons before you decide whether or not you should go for route planning.
- Reduces time you spend on planning the route as the entire process is automated
- Increases the number of jobs completed on a daily basis. As the route is optimized, the drivers will be able to reach their destinations quickly and cover even more destinations
- Intelligently assigns resources – the software considers driver and vehicle availability while planning routes. So, the chances of missing a delivery because of these reasons are reduced
- Reduces delays due to traffic congestions. The route optimization software takes into considerations traffic at different times and regions to design the best route.
- Decreases overall costs – optimizing the route helps reduce fuel costs and vehicle maintenance costs as it reduces wear and tear of the vehicle
- Faster response to last-minute changes – the software also considers emergency or urgent situations and assigns routes as soon as possible, minimizing delays
- Enhances productivity – The productivity of the entire logistics team and the other support teams increases significantly with the use of route planning software.