In Washington County, Texas, however, the combination of family and fun is the name of the game. This is a bit out of the norm as more often than not, traveling with children can often be as trying for families who just want to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. This picturesque area of the Texas Hill Country puts family first and aims to create an unforgettable experience for everyone.
Enjoy a weekend full of family fun. Here are five activities to keep your family busy but also having a great time:
1. Check out the birthplace of Blue Bell Ice Cream – Brenham, Texas is headquarters to Blue Bell. Anyone who has grown up in Texas knows that a hot summer afternoon is not complete without the perfect taste of this Texas classic. Visit the Blue Bell Country Store and get a big scoop of ice cream in their parlors.
2. Have fun at Horseshoe Junction – Whether it’s arcade games, go-cart track racing, miniature golf, or even tackling The Cliffhanger rock wall with your kids, Horseshoe Junction has something for all members of the family. Even more alluring is that unlike some more publicized family fun parks, Horseshoe Junction is located between Austin and Houston, thereby allowing you the chance to take a trip to a metropolitan area and still have a quick jaunt out to the park.
3. Give the trip a little ‘zing’ of history with Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Park in Brenham, TX – Visitors are given the chance to see what Texas was like before it became a state. It’s located on the Brazos River and not only gives visitors breathtaking views of Texas, but provides them with a look at the birth of the Lone Star State.
4. Go roller-skating at the Silver Wings Ballroom – Also located in Brenham, Texas, this blast from the past still operates fully and is as exciting as ever. Keep in mind, though, that this ballroom host special events (i.e., family reunions), and even caters to performing bands. Everyone in the family is sure to have fun.
5. Look back at the agricultural heart of Texas by visiting the Texas Cotton Gin Museum in Burton Texas, home of the oldest operating cotton gin in America. The Burton Farmers Gin is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a Texas Historic Landmark by the Texas Historical Commission. Admission is free, and visitors not only have a chance to actually pick cotton, but they get a chance to see cotton ginned and baled, something most people never will see. Also check out the Burton Cotton Gin festival, which has been taking place for nearly three decades.