Your wooden doors are not added for the sake of aesthetic value. They can add protection to your home, especially from intruders and stray animals. They can also prevent harmful elements such as strong wind, snow, and rain from getting into your house.
But how do you exactly choose the most ideal wooden doors for your house? We can sum up everything in 4 tips:
1. Get to know the weather. One of the biggest issues of wood is that it tends to expand and contract every time the weather changes. This then makes wooden doors highly susceptible to premature wear and tear. What you can do is to select those that have fiberboard panels. They are not only very durable, but they are resistant to changeable weather conditions.
2. Go for solid wooden doors. There are actually two known types of wooden doors. You have the hollow core, where the panels are made up of fiberboards with gaps or holes. They are very lightweight and somewhat inexpensive. However, they are not as durable as solid wooden doors. They also produce a lot of noise. Though you will surely be spending more for them, you are also assured of their quality. You can stick with mahogany, oak, and hickory, to name a few. They are also considered to be more fire resistant. If you’re in doubt of how strong they are, you can still find these kinds of doors among old houses-those that have been around for more than 50 years.
3. Ensure that the door hardly touches the floor. Some doors are just so huge that their bottom edges will cause scratches into your floor every time you close and open them. It would be ideal to have your floors attached first before you buy the wooden doors, or you can have an allowance of at least a half inch at the bottom of the door.
4. Buy the door from a legitimate manufacturer. There are hundreds of manufacturers that you can find in the market today, but not all of them are actually real. Some of them would only give you substandard wood door or market them as solid wood when, in fact, they’re not. To see if it’s a legitimate seller or manufacturer, you can look for reviews in the World Wide Web. You can also check the Better Business Bureau if the company is registered. Most of all, don’t buy any wood door without warranty.
5. Determine your style. There are several choices that you can have for your wood doors, and usually, your selection will depend on your style. If you can’t find the right color for your door, you can opt to buy the unfinished one and just have a professional painter to add the color. Victorian-style homes can go for six-panel doors, while others can select 4-panel ones.
You can look for wood doors in your local home depot or at the Internet. It’s important, however, that before you bring them home, you must be able to check for any potential issue.